Check out The Chef’s Circle Merchandise here!
Join my online French cooking classes 👨🍳: https://learn.thefrenchcookingacademy.com/p/get-started-with-french-cooking this video will show you how to make a French Fish soup, bouillabaisse style from scratch. It is a step by step video with easy to follow instructions.
If you like fish this is a dish not to miss. for the
best results you will have to make your own fish fumet or stock and use 4 or 5 types of fish. if you cannot make your own fish stock don't worry as this recipe can also be made using an of the shelf fish stock.
As a side note, if you want to have the soup thicker you can add 1 boiled potato in the soup before blending and filtering it. Make sure to use a sieve with medium size holes and if you can, ideally use a manual vegetable mill which will extract the juices as well as some of the fish flesh.
Ingredients you need to make 1 liter of soup (enough for 4 starter size bowls or plates). for 2 liter of soup, just multiply all proportion by 2. (except the ingredients to make the Aioli)
1 liter of fish stock fresh or or of the shelf (video link below)
for the soup:
• 800 grams of a mix of small Rock fish cut into chunks and 200 grams of fish filet.
Vegetable and herbs to make the soup:
• Onions 150 grams
• Leek 80 grams
• Celery branches 40 grams
• Fennel bulb 40 grams
• Tomatoes 200 grams (optional)
• Tomato paste 20 grams
• 1 bouquet garni https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V35qP2dEywg
• Garlic 4 cloves
• Safran threads half a gram
• Star anise 2 pieces
For the garnish:
• 1 French baguette or similar
• Grated cheese 80 to 100 grams
For the aioli sauce:
• 2 egg yolks
• 3 to 4 garlic cloves (depending on how strong you like the sauce)
• 25 cl of olive oil
• Juice of half lemon mixed with half a gram of saffron powder or threads
If you want to make standard mayonnaise follow this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHGpyrRRlx0
then just add garlic and paprika powder to it.
for the Seasoning:
• Salt and pepper
• Cayenne pepper
• Paprika powder ( for the Aioli to give it that rusty colour)